If you have developed periodontal disease, our dentist may recommend that you receive ARESTIN® to help treat the condition and improve your oral health. ARESTIN (minocycline hydrochloride) is a type of antibiotic medication. ARESTIN is provided in the form of a powder containing microspheres smaller than a grain of sand. These microspheres are filled with medication and placed inside the infected periodontal pockets of your mouth, where they release the antibiotic gradually. ARESTIN actively fights periodontal disease for 30 days in your mouth, with the full results of your treatment appearing after about 90 days. ARESTIN is usually provided in combination with scaling and root planing to achieve the most effective results.
When you receive ARESTIN, our dentist and team recommend that you:
- Do not touch the treated areas of your gums for one week after receiving ARESTIN
- Do not floss or use toothpicks in the treated areas for 10 days
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy or sticky foods for one week
- Make sure to stay hydrated
- Avoid smoking or using other tobacco products — if you cannot stop entirely, at least limit your use of these products as they will hinder your healing process
- Keep all your follow-up appointments
- Continue to brush and floss regularly — ARESTIN is most effective when combined with a good oral hygiene routine
We invite you to contact us at 303-741-4600 to learn more about ARESTIN antibiotic therapy in Littleton, Colorado, and schedule your appointment with Dr. Erik Palmberg.